Sunday, November 21, 2010

What's keeping you awake nights?

I am the Ward Activities Committee Chairwoman/person/man whatever. I am in limbo (which my Catholic friends will recognize as being just this side of Hell).

Last Saturday, the LDS Church had an international organizational meeting. Among other things, Activities Committees were declared a thing of the past. So I have had this calling for about 3 months, just long enough to still be in charge of the Ward Christmas party.

We are doing Mele Kalikimaka. I wanted it to be more than just Hawaiian Haystacks.
(Side note: In case you don't know what those are, and I didn't, it's white rice with a "gravy" made from cream of chicken soup, topped according to wishes with chow mein noodles, grated cheese, green onions, tomato, pineapple, and. . .something else I am forgetting. They taste better than they sound, but I can say that because I leave off the tomatoes and pineapple). So I called for Kalua Pork.

Have you ever tried to figure out how much Kalua Pork you should make for 250 people, plus other food supplies and decorations on $450? No? First time for me, too. As a consequence, the last two nights my sleep has officially ended at 4:30 am, which my eyes suddenly snap open, and my helpful brain fires questions at me such as: "Do you know how long it is until the party? Have you figured out how much meat you need yet? How about how much it's going to cost? Do you have your entertainment in place? How can you be out of school, unemployed, and this unprepared?"

Ah, the imponderables my mind presents me with at such an inconventient hour.

So, suddenly, I'm not so sorry that this calling ends as of 10 pm on Dec 4. I'm kind of smiley about it, now!

What wakes you up at nights?

No comments:

Post a Comment