Monday, April 6, 2009

Stealing Shamelessly: List #1: Shows I love to Watch

I have things I want to write about, but they involve photography, and so they shall be added as part of a theme: lists. (I confess, I'm stealing this idea from a friend; she did lists for a month).

So, withour further ado, my first list: Shows I love to watch (in no particular order)

1. Robin Hood (BBC's most recent series)
Filmed in Hungary, with no particular attention given to accuracy in language or dress, this show is wonderful. We laugh, we cheer, watch it together. It's possible that part of the enjoyment comes from the family celebration. Lizzie doesn't care for it much, but the rest of us gather together in the living room, pop corn, and hush each other, laughing and watching and having a great time.

2. Doctor Who (again, the recent BBC incarnation)
I came to this one reluctantly. The men of my family growing up were into the older series, but I only had a memory of a man with curly hair, a big nose, and the worlds longest scarf (which I have knit twice, now). It didn't inspire interest or confidence. A friend recommended this series to me and after a few episodes, I was hooked. I can't say exactly what I like about it; but then I couldn't tell you anything that I don't like about it. I didn't like that they switched the Doctor until I got used to the 10th regeneration. I don't feel like I'll like the end of Rose, but maybe the next travelling companion will be good, too.
Again, part of the joy of this one is being able to share it with my family. Only Honey doesn't enjoy it (the first episode wasn't to his taste, and I haven't been able to bribe him to watch another yet). The rest will watch and enjoy.

3. Chuck.
I love the humor, I love the techy (techie? technological?) stuff, and I think the Buy More is perfect. Honey likes that stuff best; he did work in an electronics store for a few years, and that may be why he likes it so well.

There are a few shows that I loved in the past, which are fading, a bit.

4. Bones
I enjoy the medical and experimental stuff, but the actual "Bones" character reminds me of an idiot savant. She's brilliant medically and professionally, but don't cut her loose on an unsuspecting public. She has no manners, social ability, or common politeness.

5. Pushing Daisies
I'd like this one more, except the show was cancelled. It's hard to have an enduring love affair with a dead person (which is ironic, considering the show's premise).

2 comments:

  1. I really like the new Dr. Who and Chuck, as well. I have to look into Robin Hood more. I also like Bones and Pushing Daisies, but I could never really get into Pushing Daisies, although I thought it was great with those saturated colors.

    Have you ever seen "Eureka"? That's a great one. They have some episodes on Hulu, but not all of them. You definitely have to start at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Eureka, but I'll check it out on netflix. (I love that business)

    ReplyDelete