Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Beautiful Mother Moment

See this? Notice that the picture corners are peeling up? Notice that there are things scratched off and misspelled on both posters? And yet, if you look at this picture on the left, a dark arrow is pointing to a faintly circled A+. Why does such arguably shoddy work merit such a high grade?

Because, unusually in elementary school, this project was done exclusively by the second grader to whom it was assigned. Liz came home and said "I have to do an Africa report." and I said "Okay."



Then I did nothing. It wasn't due for a while, I was sure (they always give parents generous deadlines). And then I never heard anything more about it.
The next opportunity I had to remember it was the day I went to her class to volunteer. There on the wall, for all to see, were these two posters. Liz had gone on line, printed pictures, and found information all on her own. She'd cut out pictures, glued them on the poster, and taken them to school, all without any kind of parental supervision.
I mentioned that to her teacher, and I think that was why she got the A+. Not because I told him, but because it was so obviously all her own work.

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on your blog. I hope the sacrifices aren't killing you and you're keeping your eye on the prize.

    I am truly impressed with Liz's responsibility. Wow. She deserves that A+.

    ReplyDelete