Friday, October 8, 2010

No technology today, either

I didn't have time or motivation to fight computer and camera today, so instead you get a look at a different part of my mind.

I am fascinated with what people read. I think it says a lot about their personalities and interests. I could be completely wrong, of course, but it's a theory I'm going with for the time being. Thus, with no further ado, here is a list of of books on my mind right now:

Books I have checked out from the library:
  • The Last Lecture (for the Milne book club - haven't started it yet)
  • The History of Japan (because I'm out of school and it feels weird not to be reading something educational, and Lizzy suggested October be "Japan Month."
  • The Writer's Path (because I have a fantasy about writing a novel, but figured it might be like working out; start in small increments before heading off for the marathon)
Books I have on hold at the library:
  • 10 Books Every Conservative Must Read: Plus Four Not to Miss and One Imposter (does it count if I just read about them?)
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow (variation on East of the Sun, West of the Moon)
  • The Black Pearl
  • Princess of Glass (variation on Cinderella)
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (variation on 12 dancing princesses)
  • Troubled Waters
  • (and 4 different books on meditation - because I am an American to my core, and I want to be able to achieve a deep meditative state, but I want to do it quickly, and I don't want it to be hard)

Books I've told goodreads I'm "currently reading:"
  • The 10 Big Lies about America: Combating Destructive Distortions about our Nation's Past and Present (started it four years ago, still on page 67)
  • Life of Pi (page 18)
  • Silas Marner
  • To Have and To Hold: A Personal Handbook for Building a Strong Marriage and Preventing Affairs (should I be worried that this was a gift from my father-in-law?)

Books I am actually reading:

  • Silas Marner (slowly but surely)
  • Lust and other things to do with your spare hormones. (Comic strip collection; no need to call my bishop)

So, there you have it. I'll let you decide what it actually says about me.

On a completely different front:

Today I saw my cousin Nathan get married. We (Nathan and I) aren't particularly close, but I love his sisters and his mother like crazy, and seeing them was awesome. I wish we'd had more time.

I checked my kids out of school for the family wedding luncheon. This was a mixed success.

Win: They weren't expecting it, so getting out early was a major treat.

Loss: The food was definitely for grownups (including grownups more adult than I), so they didn't eat much.

Win: My kids love my cousins as much as I do, and were excited to see them.

Loss: My cousins were (imagine) drafted for luncheon duty by their mother and were hardly to be seen.

Loss: My kids didn't eat much and ran around to drive off the boredom.

Win: They did it outside the church, so I wasn't embarrassed by a 15, 11 and 10 year old running around like mad people.

Still, I'd do it again, given the chance, and pick up Wendy's for them either on the way out or on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment